Environmental Health and Safety Manager – 16 Month Contract
|Reports To||Plant Manager|
This position will lead the EH&S function by providing direction and support at all levels in the plant. This position will monitor and assess compliance to prevent chemical, physical and biological hazards and exposures throughout the plant and to the community. The individual will ensure that all plant environmental, health and safety policies, guidelines and programs are following regulatory requirements, best practice industry and Corporate standards. The individual will administer effective EH&S programs and procedures that continuously increase overall awareness in EHS to eliminate undesired incidents at the plant. This will include, developing, organizing and providing any needed EHS training. Collaborate with Corporate, business units and regulatory agencies to ensure EHS concerns are identified and managed. Participates on the Corporate and Brampton EH&S Committees.
|Duties & Responsibilities|
- Administers the ISO 14001 Environmental Management System and ISO 45001 Health & Safety Management System at the facility in consultation with the Brampton Packaging Facility Manager and the Brampton EH&S Committee and in coordination with EHS activities at other Greenfield manufacturing/packaging plants
- Takes part in Management meetings relating to the Environmental and Health & Safety Management Systems and notifies management of its performance
- Coordinates the hazard determination for each position/task and uses employee participation and consultation to ensure the hazard ratings and their controls are accurate, complete, and identify the best controls. Determine and log all Risks and Opportunities. Reports to management so actions may be taken to reduce/eliminate risk and optimize on opportunities
- Determine compliance obligations for the Brampton facility and monitor for new obligations. Verify annually that the compliance obligations are being met. Host external compliance audits as required
- Hosts Registrar Environmental Management System and Health & Safety Management System audits. Ensures non-conformities are investigated and corrective actions are identified
- Participates in setting EHS objectives at the Brampton Packaging Facility. Monitors/measures the progress made in achieving the objectives
- Organizes internal EHS audits and takes part in audit reviews. Ensures non-conformities are investigated and corrective actions are identified
- Logs and investigates environmental or H&S complaints
- Logs incident reports and ensures the appropriate managers have taken actions to address the incident
- Logs workplace inspection reports and ensures each applicable manager is aware of the findings within their departments. Follows-up with the managers to ensure action items are taken
- Provides support for and conducts root cause analysis as required
- Participates as Brampton representative on the Corporate EH&S Committee communicating corporate EH&S initiatives to Brampton Management and staff
- Participates as Co-chair on the Brampton EH&S Committee
- Administers the respiratory protection program at the facility. Ensures applicable employees are sent for medical assessment and fit testing
- Coordinates discharges to sanitary sewer with the Region of Peel. Coordinates removal of subject waste through an approved waste hauler
- Exemplifies the importance that the Company places on Health and Safety, Environment, and Quality. Adheres to and fully complies with the Ontario Health & Safety Act. Informs workers of all known hazards and responds to/investigates safety concerns or reports of new hazards. Monitor proposed and existing EHS regulations and legislation to determine their impact on operations. Develops and implements programs to ensure continued compliance.
- Adheres to and fully complies with the Company’s Health and Safety, Environmental, and Quality Procedures. Consults workers in the development, planning, implementation, performance evaluation and actions for improvement of the OH&S management system. Is responsible for the aspects of the OH&S Management System over which they have control
- Other duties as assigned.
|Skills & Qualifications|
• Post-secondary education or equivalent experience in Health & Safety, Environmental Science, or other related fields
• Specific training in the Occupational Health and Safety Act
• Knowledgeable of environmental regulations, and work experience in environmental aspects and procedures
• Canadian Registered Safety Professional designation an asset
• Prior work experience within an industrial plant environment is desired.
- Self-starter individual with strong attention to detail
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks
- Individual with excellent communication skills who promotes a team environment
- Possesses Company values of honesty, integrity, respect and commitment coupled with the ability to accept change.