Packaging Cost Accountant
|Reports To||Corporate Controller|
Greenfield Global is the largest high-purity alcohol company in North America offering bulk and packaged ingredients and additives. Under the Pharmco brand, we offer a wide range of specialty alcohols and bio-based chemicals to quality-driven and environmentally-conscious customers around the globe. The Pharmco brand has come to stand for premium quality and service excellence. We have been supplying life science, food, flavor, fragrance, personal care, extraction and industrial companies with mission-critical products for more than 30 years.
The Packaging Cost Accountant will report directly to the Controller and will be responsible for ensuring the accuracy of the product costing system at Greenfield’s three packaging facilities.
|Duties & Responsibilities|
- Planning, studying and collecting data to determine costs of business activities including labour and inventory
- Maintain and continually improve the cost accounting system
- Analyze cost accounting data and prepare periodic reports comparing actual costs to expected costs.
- Accumulate and apply overhead costs
- Prepare and distribute monthly reports on product profitability, customer profitability and venue capacity and utilization
- Analyze the daily production results from the scanner system, research any major variances and adjust records accordingly
- Conduct physical inventories and monitor cycle counts
- Conduct and document time studies to capture labour and other overhead costs by product
- Provide product costing support for non-routine products and/or production runs
- Oversee governance of the inventory item master records and maintenance of intercompany costing (Standard Cost) and other vendor material purchase rebates.
- Assist in month-end closing, prepare inventory-related journal entries, analyze inventory valuations and analyze inventory write downs. (Internal example – Price Variance)
- Prepare cost simulations for new products or new routings
- Conduct periodic reviews of the raw material purchasing process seeking to identify new efficiencies, ensuring accounting transparency and ensuring the process facilitates obtaining required material at best price.
|Skills & Qualifications|
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance
- 3 or more years of related manufacturing costing experience
- Ability to research, compile, analyze and interpret data
- Possess a strong cost systems background and excellent analytical skills
- Good written, verbal communication and collaborative skills
- Proficiency in Excel and Microsoft Office products
- Knowledge of ERP systems and ability to work well with IT and Business Excellence analysts
- Lean and Six Sigma experience an asset
- Packaging and batching industry experience preferred
- Experience working with manufacturing, laboratory and supply chain personnel on development and analysis of cost standards
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
- Ability to travel 25% of the time