|Reports To||Plant Manager|
The Plant Engineering Manager provides direct coordination of all engineering and construction activities on site and tracks all capital expenditures. They are primarily responsible for providing management and guidance for all steps of Capital projects (scope definition, cost estimates, engineering, contracting, purchasing, construction and commissioning), achieving results through the leadership of internal/external resources and providing technical support to other plant departments.
They are also responsible for the administration of the plant drawings and technical documentation including other programs like Management of Change and Plant Safety Audits (PHA/HAZOP/PSSR).
The Plant Engineering Manager is also responsible for the supervision of contractual “Construction Coordinator” and “Engineers” associated with the execution of capital projects and studies. They will support the Chief Engineer/ Contractor Coordinator in their functions as Contractor Coordinator, in relation to the execution of assigned Capital projects or plant shutdown activities.
The individual must have previous management and capital project experience with sufficient experience to be able to work both independently and within a team to achieve the desired results.
|Duties & Responsibilities|
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Responsibility for the Safety Performance of contractors on Capital projects work
- Ensure all Health, Safety and Environmental requirements are fulfilled
- Coordinate Capital Programs (engineering, construction, cost control, project priorities) to ensure that projects deliver the desired results and are completed safely, on time and within the approved budget costs
- Provide support, technical or/and for cost estimate, to the other managers during the Project Scope definition stage
- Ensure all new construction on site complies with current codes and regulations
- Maintain records for Capital spending and report on a regular basis
- Support the accounts payable and accounts receivable procedures
- Function as key contact for outside engineering houses
- Preparation of technical reports or delivering oral presentations to justify project ideas
- Participates positively in and supports compliance of FEMAS, FSMA and any other food and feed safety standard
- Participates positively in and supports compliance of ISO and other management systems and standards
- Support managers in the development of the annual operating budget
- Support activities for equipment reliability optimization for existing and new installations
- Oversees site documentation supporting project initiatives: project timelines, progress reports, PID’s, Plot Plan, etc.
- Ensure that plant documentation and drawings are brought up-to date and kept current
- Help develop and maintain technical documentation such as specifications and standards
- Support the Management of Change Process
- Keep track of projects requiring PSR’s and HAZOP’s. File PSR and HAZOP reports
- Site interface with insurance companies and broker audit activities
- Provides technical assistance to maintenance, production for troubleshooting, problem solving and continuous improvement activities
- Lead and/or engage as the support role during Root Cause Analysis sessions and promote the use of this tool
- Work with the Maintenance, Production and Shipping to coordinate and support plant shutdown activities
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ensure design is compliant with PEO guidelines for Ontario
- Ensure pressure vessels and piping are registered and certified with TSSA
- Ensure electrical installations are approved by ESA
- Ensure formal, stamped PSR’s are carried out when required by the OH&S Act, Ontario Regulation 851
- Provide CofA information for new installations affecting effluent or emissions
- Ensure all new installations comply with current applicable codes and regulations (such as fire code and building code)
- Ensure municipal building permits are obtained when required for new installations
- Ensure that “Notice of Project” is sent to the MOL when GGI is the constructor.
|Skills & Qualifications|
• PEO certification, which requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and five years of related experience
• Relevant management experience
• Good understanding of the engineering/construction field
• Experience in a continuous and batch process environment is preferred
• Background as a mechanical, chemical, or electrical engineer
• Experience with supervising the work of contractors, such as an external engineering firm and construction contractor
• Experience with preparing /negotiating contracts with engineering/construction firms would be an asset
• Candidate must be familiar with the Microsoft Office suite of software including being proficient with AutoCAD and MS Project.
- Ability to coach, lead and motivate employees through effective communications
- Comfortable with people – can talk, communicate – listens and hears and can speak to, operators, vendors, etc.
- Ability to clearly communicate concepts to co-workers, operators, maintenance personnel and management
- Comfortable with soliciting project input and comments from the rest of the plant employees
- Ability to read and interpret drawings and technical documentation
- Ability to formulate working intentions as procedures/guidelines
- Ability to enforce procedures/guidelines in a friendly yet firm manner
- Takes ownership and lead of issues that fall under the engineering, construction, maintenance, purchasing, and utility umbrella
- Individual must be able to handle multiple tasks of varying complexity through personal efforts and through the leadership of others
- Enjoys working on projects, eager to learn, contribute, hands-on individual, enjoys working in a plant environment
- Can work productively and independently
- A team player, open-minded, excellent communicator, can work effectively with individuals from a variety of backgrounds
- A practical person who is results oriented
- Dedicated to business objectives and continuous improvement through adaptability, innovation, and agility
- Possesses Company values of Honesty, Integrity, Respect and Commitment coupled with the ability to accept and drive change.