|Reports To||Production Manager|
The Process Engineer plays a pivotal role in maximizing the technical performance of the facility. This person is expected to be constantly analyzing plant processes and performing trials in order to identify and implement initiatives that will improve: plant safety and environmental performance, plant throughput, plant yield, energy consumption, chemical consumption and product quality.
|Duties & Responsibilities|
- Develop an intimate knowledge and understanding of each unit operation as well as the interrelationship between unit operations
- May shift focus as required to either front end of process (Grind to Fermentation) or back end of process (Distillation and Evaporation)
- Provide input and support for a detailed mass and energy model of the various unit operations
- Provide process support for all automation systems (DCS, PLC, BMS)
- Responsible for Advanced Process Control system monitoring and development
- Provide technical assistance to the Plant for trouble-shooting, problem solving, capital project integration, and continuous improvement activities
- Review existing processes, analyze available data as well as design and carry out experiments to provide recommendations to optimize the process
- Supports the Operations group and develops, builds and enhances employee knowledge and experience. Provides technical mentoring and teaching to other employees
- Supports the Operations group by performing and/or participating in structured root cause analysis (RCA) sessions on issues
- Supports the Operations group by participating in structured hazard and operability studies (Hazop’s) on new or existing equipment as well as new or existing procedures
- Works with vendors to develop and maintain operating procedures that will optimize the performance of the vendor’s product or service
- Assists in the development of detailed front-end process engineering and financial justifications for capital projects
- Assists in the development of, and compliance with environmental, health and safety procedures and FEMAS feed and food safety standards that are interrelated with plant processes
- Authors and circulates technical reports on plant trials
- Other duties as assigned.
|Skills & Qualifications|
- Bachelor of Engineering degree, Chemical Discipline preferred
- Registered as a Professional Engineer in Ontario or qualified to be registered
- Experience in a continuous operating plant environment would be an asset
- Relevant experience or education in biochemical manufacturing or distillation facilities would be an asset
- A highly developed ability to read and interpret technical documents, drawings or manuals
- Advanced ability to write technical reports, operating procedures and correspondence for a variety of audiences
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required
- Ability of clearly conveying technical concepts to people of varying abilities and backgrounds.
- Comfortable working as part of a group
- Comfortable leading a small group of co-workers
- A thinker, eager to learn, self-motivated and a self-starter
- A hands-on person that contributes to the organization and enjoys working in a plant environment
- A team player, open-minded and able to work and communicate effectively with individuals from a variety of backgrounds
- A person that will dig deeply into details to solve problems and gain understanding of the root cause (not a desk job)
- Able to work in a group or alone while maintaining a high level of motivation and drive
- An empathetic employee who interacts well with and draws the best out of all employees
- Capable of developing and growing into a future leader
- Able to troubleshoot and solve complex technical problems
- Comfortable using a variety of computer applications including word processors, databases and spreadsheets
- The ability to design and develop applications for the storage and retrieval of plant technical data to trend, analyze and improve plant efficiency and performance.
- Possesses Company values of honesty, integrity, respect, commitment and open to change while modelling the Company Core Principles in all activities
- Ability to foster collaborative, cross department relationships to meet common objectives.