|Reports To||Director of Central Engineering|
This position is open to candidates in Alberta, Canada to start, then varies depending on where research / development is performed.
This research position within Greenfield’s central engineering team will have key responsibilities in the development / commercialization of Greenfield’s ASTM drop in synthetic liquid fuels process development. Initially the position requires work in Dr. Arno de Klerk’s lab at the University of Alberta, utilizing a Fischer Tropsch pilot plant which is expected to be delivered in January 2023. As Greenfield’s development progresses, it will require some work at other locations where the technology will be piloted / demonstrated using larger scale equipment in addition to working out of home office and gatherings for face-to-face meetings with other engineers in the central engineering department on occasion.
|Duties & Responsibilities|
- Comply with all company health and safety, environmental, quality, and regulatory policies and work with Greenfield engineering team to ensure that all work follows all applicable codes and regulations
- Work with the Greenfield engineers and all other external individuals and teams such as post docs and professors at the University of Alberta, NRC, Canmet, Colorado School of Mines and any other organizations in which Greenfield might partner with
- Gain an in-depth understanding of Greenfield’s liquid fuels process, generate experimental plans to answer relevant questions necessary to create a sound 1st in kind 5,000 barrel per day commercial synthetic liquid fuels business
- Assist Greenfield’s engineering team to develop strategies and question matrices for process unknowns and potential process operating requirements or difficulties as they arise
- Create and generate experimental plans, including sufficient data collection and analysis to make engineering conclusions for business decisions as the process is developed with the help of Greenfield’s central engineering team
- Assist or drive the publication of technical articles with benefit to Greenfield as necessary
- Attend and assist in various meetings with partners, government agencies, process HAZOP’s, brainstorming activities and hands on piloting / demonstrating work as required
- Work with the engineering team to create a book of knowledge for the process as it gets developed
- Assist as required in the application and tracking for various government grants
- Longer term assist with the writing of operational procedures in order to build a full size 5,000 barrel per day plant
- Create process flow sheets, process mass and energy balances and assist with the development of P&ID’s as necessary
- The individual will be required to complete purchase requisitions, PO’s and other procurement activities as required. This may involve the requirement to learn Navision, Maximo or other enterprise software such as Microsoft 365
- Maintain accurate records on work performed, materials and resources used on Greenfield’s server
- Participate in the planning and completion of various project type work as they arise
- Ability to travel within Canada, USA and ideally Europe as well
- Adheres to all applicable Occupational Health & Safety Act and local site safety procedures and policies
- Responsible for maintaining a high standard of housekeeping and working to Japanese 5S standards for each project
- Participate in continuous improvement initiatives, including Brain Storming, Root Cause Analysis, HAZOP, and design reviews
- Other duties and responsibilities may be required from time to time to achieve business objectives in support of advanced liquid fuels in line with Greenfield’s Vision, Mission and Core Principles.
|Skills & Qualifications|
- Ideally PhD in chemical engineering with experience in Biocrude, Gasification and Fischer Tropsch processes with the ability and desire to be registered with a P. Eng. designation
- Strong computer and communications skills with a technical aptitude and process troubleshooting skills, experience with lab and pilot equipment and instrumentation
- Competent at managing multiple priorities with varying complexity and competing demands
- Focused individual who maintains safety standards while working to achieve department objectives in a team environment
- Hands on technical experience within a continuous commercial process facility would be an asset.
- Demonstrate commitment to safety, environmental practices, project targets, and quality standards
- Team-oriented individual with strong communication skills and the ability to collaborate across an engineering team, with other departments within Greenfield and with a host of 3rd parties
- Self-motivated, forward-thinking individual with the ability to look at and analyze problems holistically and without prejudice
- An individual who can self- direct workload and priorities, and acts to create efficiencies and resolve issues within their scope of responsibility
- Dedicated to business objectives and continuous improvement through adaptability, innovation, and agility
- Possesses Company values of Honesty, Integrity, Respect and Commitment coupled with the ability to accept and drive.